Okay, it’s sort of a pain to take milk and heavy cream with you when you go camping, but hey … if you want the “World’s Greatest” you have to figure on making some sacrifices! Make the mix ahead of time and keep it in an empty peanut butter jar or some other unbreakable, airtight container. Then when you get to the campfire, put the liquids to warm in a Dutch Oven and mix up a batch big enough for everyone. While you’re making and pouring the cocoa have each camper toast their own marshmallows for topping!
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup of powdered cocoa (unsweetened)
- 2 ½ cups powdered milk
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips (chopped as fine as you can make them)
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup milk
- Chocolate syrup (and/or flavored syrups like you add to coffee) to taste
- Large, toasting sized marshmallows
- Mix together dry ingredients in a large bowl at home, then store in airtight container. Something unbreakable is best for camping.
- Combine three heaping tablespoons of mix with ½ cup heavy cream and ½ cup milk (per serving) in a Dutch Oven or other fire safe kettle.
- Warm over campfire. Make it good and hot, but don’t let it boil. You need the heat to melt the chocolate chip fragments thoroughly.
- Toast a couple of large marshmallows over the campfire until they are golden brown and the centers are nearly liquid. (Consider using Stuff’n Mallows Chocolate Chip Marshmallows for something extra special.)
- Pour or ladle the hot cocoa into mugs and stir in any syrups to taste.
- Top with one or two toasted marshmallows. Ooze the center out of the marshmallow and stir into the beverage.
- Drink while it’s still hot.
Click here for more camping recipes to keep the kids warm!