You can have your own fiesta at the campsite tonight with this cheesy, flavorful TexMex Chicken Foil Packet. This no-mess campfire dinner is sure to become one of your favorites!
This easy Mexican style dinner is packed with flavor and can be customized to fit your preferences or what ingredients you have on hand. Here are some quick pointers for best success:
- Use a chicken breast that is about 6-7 ounces
- Pound your chicken breast so that it is approximately 1⁄2 in thick, it will cook more evenly and quickly this way!
- Use heavy-duty foil
- Be sure to tent and tightly seal your foil packet
- Flip packet halfway through to cook evenly on both sides.
While camp cooking, I am a big fan of convenience! The first time I made this recipe I chopped all the veggies on-site (rookie mistake). Now I just bring a ziplock bag of pre-chopped veggies (even frozen ones will work!) with me to speed up the process. I’ve experimented with lots of different veggie combinations, and mango is my favorite addition! I love the sweet, savory flavor that it adds to the dish. My husband likes his chicken to have a kick, so I throw in jalapeno into his TexMex Chicken Foil Packet.
Toppings really make this recipe pop, so go crazy! Fresh cilantro is a must and avocado is another one of our favorites. We’ve also tried topping it with southwest ranch, green onions, and more- the possibilities are endless!
I love how the chicken comes out so moist and tender! You can serve it as a whole chicken breast with veggies and tortilla chips, or shred the chicken and throw it all into a tortilla to make a burrito. I’ve also sliced the breast and made a killer southwest salad with it.
Bottom line: use what you’ve got, do what’s convenient, and make it your way. The results will always be delicious!
- 1 cup chopped veggies (red onion, corn, bell pepper, mango shown here)
- Freshly squeezed lime juice from 1 small lime
- 1 6-7 ounce chicken breast, 1⁄2 inch thick
- 1⁄2 cup mild salsa
- 1⁄2 cup shredded taco cheese
- Fresh cilantro for topping
- Pound chicken breast to 1⁄2 inch thickness
- Evenly spread chopped veggies onto the foil
- Lay chicken breast on top of veggies
- Top chicken breast with salsa and cheese
- Seal the foil packet tightly, allowing for some expansion
- Place foil packet on grill rack over the campfire
- Cook for 35-50 minutes, turning over halfway through
- Chicken is finished when it reaches 165 degrees F
- Top with cilantro and other optional toppings, serve, and enjoy!