Sandwiches are by far the easiest lunch when you’re out camping, but if you’re making them for a large group it can be time consuming to make and wrap individual sandwiches. But don’t fret, we have a solution. This Roast Beef Sandwich can easily feed a group and assembles in minutes allowing you to actually relax when camping.
Thinly sliced Roast Beef is one of my favorite sandwich toppings but my family usually goes for ham. So why not combine them? With out a valid reason to not make the combo this sandwich was created with a pile of both ham and roast beef. To easily make this for a group grab a few loaves of Italian Bread, cut in half and hollow out the middle – leaving about 1/2 inch on both sides. From there make the mayo mixture and spread on both sides of the bread, put down your sliced pickles and top with roast beef, ham and whatever other toppings you love. Press the top of piece of bread down, wrap in plastic and put in the cooler until your ready to chow. If you want to make this a warm sandwich, just wrap it in tin foil and throw it on the coals of the campfire for about 10-15 minutes. I like to make the mayo mixture ahead of time and have it in a container. You could even make the entire sandwich ahead of time and keep it in the cooler.
We originally found this recipe over at Taste Of Home when we were on a search to find recipes to feed my hungry group of campers. It looked simple, yet tasty so I gave it a try. I am certainly glad I did! I have now made it several times switching up ingredients and toppings – all of which have turned out great!
- 2 loaves unsliced Italian bread
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup sliced green onions
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound thinly sliced fully cooked Ham
- 1 pound thinly sliced roast beef
- 12 to 14 thin slices dill pickle
- 12 to 14 banana peppers
- Cut the bread in half lengthwise. Hollow out top and bottom of loaves, leaving a ½-in. shell
- In a large bowl, combine cheeses, onions, mayonnaise and Worcestershire sauce; spread over cut sides of bread. Layer with ham and roast beef on bottom and top halves; place pickles and banana peppers on bottom halves. Top sandwich with lettuce. Gently press halves together.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Cut into 1-1/2-in. slices. If you want it warm, wrap in tin foil and put on the coals of the fire for 10-15 minutes.
Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich Loaf
Buffalo Chicken Meatballs Sub
Italian Crazy Bread Loaf