Some things are just meant to be, but who’d a thunk it was watermelon and Fireball Whisky?
Menu planning for the 50 Campfires Field Trips begins well before the team hits the road. We research regional foods in the area they will be traveling. We look for dishes that are traditionally prepared there as well as ingredients that are grown, raised, processed, or made in the region.
The Field Trip: Great River Road ending in New Orleans presented many opportunities and challenges alike. Of course, New Orleans is famous for it cuisine. It offers tons of variety. On the other hand, fame is a challenge because everybody covers New Orleans dishes like jambalaya, po’ boys, gumbo, and beignets. And besides, we need to take those world renowned dishes and make them campfire, cook stove — or at least charcoal grill — simple. That’s a challenge on something like gumbo that takes all day and most of the night to cook.
So we looked for consummately Southern and consummately Louisianan ingredients. We came up with watermelon and Fireball Whisky.
We came up with a unique way to put them together, and it blew our collective minds!
This is so simple, it can barely be called a recipe, but here it is:
- 1 watermelon from a roadside stand with character
- ice cube tray(s)
- 1 bottle of Fireball Whisky (unless you have A LOT of friends over, then 2)
- Halve and quarter watermelon.
- Remove rind.
- Chop flesh into chunks and juice that will pour into the individual spots on an ice cube tray.
- Pour into tray.
- Place frozen cubes into any beverage that could benefit from a bit of watermelon flavor -- but especially Fireball Whisky. (We tried everything from Mississippi River Water to Fireball to beer for a makeshift watermelon shandy.
- For transport or to make more, dump tray of watermelon ice cubes into Ziploc bag and put in freezer or cooler to take to the campsite.
What’s really cool is you can customize the intensity of the watermelon flavor in your own drink. Just swirl and swirl until you get just the right ratio of melted watermelon juice in your beverage.