It’s one of the easiest meals or side dishes to pull of when you’re camping – the foil packet. You can put a wide variety of food items in a foil packet and find success. One of the greatest ways to experiment is to throw things together and see how they meld. We’ve done just that a million times and have found success in most, including this Grilled Zucchini and Potato Foil Packet. With red pepper and garlic chunks thrown in and a coating of breadcrumbs this crispy dish is perfect to make anywhere. Finding easy things to throw together for a BBQ or gathering will make life easier. And that is what we are here for, to make your life just a little easier.
Throwing a foil packet together is perfect for the campsite as it can go directly in the coals, on the grate of the campfire or on a portable grill that you’ve brought. This grilled zucchini and potato foil packet comes together easily and has elements that can be prepared at home. It can be easier to cut up the zucchini, red pepper and garlic at home and pack in a container. I wouldn’t advise cutting the potatoes up early as they can brown a bit and get a little soggy. No one enjoys soggy potatoes.
It’s always hard to think of a side dish when cooking for a group of people. It can’t get to flavor crazy and it should appeal to both kids and adults. I think you’re safe with this potato and zucchini foil packet and can easily make a big batch/multiple foil packets to satisfy a whole group.
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into large pieces
- 4 medium potatoes, cut into large chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- ½ cup dry breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ tsp paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, toss together the zucchini, potatoes, red bell pepper, garlic, breadcrumbs, and olive oil. Season with paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Grease a sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil and lay pour out the potato mixture. Seal the aluminum and put on a preheated grill or in the coals of a campfire.
- Cook for 30 minutes. Open up the packet and let it grill for another few minutes to get the breadcrumbs a little crispier.