French toast doesn’t have to be an elaborate breakfast reserved only for special occasions. In fact, you can bring just a few ingredients with you on your next camping out and whip up this delicious breakfast in no time!
French toast is one of my all-time favorites, I always request it on my birthday and Mother’s day! When my husband makes me breakfast in bed on those special occasions he uses upwards of 10 ingredients for the recipe. I never thought this would be a meal to make on the road- until I discovered a major hack!
I realized that my caramel latte flavored coffee creamer could replace a ton of ingredients (cream, vanilla extract, honey, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, etc) and still achieve the exact same decadent taste. Making french toast this way is so fast and easy that I can whip it up in the time it takes for my kids to straighten up their tent! I’m already bringing the creamer for my coffee, so only it only requires two more ingredients. Talk about light packing!
My best tips are to use a french loaf and slice it thickly; the pre-sliced sandwich bread is just too thin and falls apart. I use a fork and lightly poke holes in the slices so that they really soak up the custard mixture. Preheat your nonstick skillet on your camp grill so that the toast cooks evenly throughout. For a richer taste, skip the Pam and grease your skillet with 3-4 tablespoons of butter. Finally, toppings are key! We love strawberries, grape jam, and powdered sugar.
- 1 ½ cup flavored coffee creamer (Caramel latte or Vanilla Caramel recommended)
- 3 eggs
- 1 french loaf
- Optional: maple syrup, powdered sugar, fruit for topping
- Preheat nonstick skillet
- In a medium bowl, whisk together coffee creamer and eggs to form custard
- Slice french loaf into 1 inch thick slices poke gently with a fork
- Dunk slices into custard mixture for 10 seconds to soak
- Cook over medium heat for 3 minutes on each side, until golden and crisp
- Add toppings and enjoy!