Breakfast is a favorite meal of mine. Especially after waking up from a night of sleeping in a tent, you just need something to start your day off right. These Dutch oven lemon blueberry biscuits will do just that. Light and flaky but packed with taste these biscuits are a perfect camping breakfast.
I usually like recipes that can be made ahead of time and this recipe is no exception. If you don’t want to bring all of the supplies to the campsite, prepare the biscuit mixture ahead of time and keep it in a ziploc bag in your cooler.
One of the other reasons I come to love this Dutch oven breakfast is it can be made quickly. If you use enough coals, I tend to use around 10 on the bottom and 20 on top this dish can be cooked in under 20 minutes. This recipe that I found on, Everyday Dutch Oven, has been around and adapted many times and for good reason!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 8 oz lemon yogurt
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 tsp grated lemon peel
- 1 cup fresh, or frozen and thawed blueberries
- ½ cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp grated lemon peel
- Lightly oil or spray Dutch oven. You can put tin foil in and spray that.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt until well combined.
- In another bowl, whisk together yogurt, egg, melted butter, and 1 tsp lemon peel until blended.
- Add wet ingredients to flour mixture; stir until just moistened, then fold in blueberries.
- Drop by ⅓ cupfuls into prepared dutch oven.
- Bake at 400 degrees for at least 18 minutes or until golden brown.
- In small bowl, combine glaze ingredients; whisk until smooth. Drizzle glaze over warm biscuits.