Two things that I like the most in life, breakfast and pizza. Combine them and you have a winning combination. I make a lot of homemade pizzas and breakfast pizzas when I am at home, but wanted to find a great pizza recipe that I could make camping. I had used a dutch oven a few times and was still learning the ropes when I tried this deep dish breakfast pizza. Needless to say it was a huge hit and I have now been using my dutch oven on all kinds of dishes.
There is definitely a learning curve to using a dutch oven and for this recipe I found that about 8 coals on the bottom of the dutch oven and 15 on top gave me just about the right heat. I did get a good fire going before hand and let it burn down to coals. Once you get the hang of it, cooking with a dutch oven is fun!
When I first looked at this deep dish breakfast pizza from Mark My Territory, I wasn’t sure if it would be a very camping friendly choice. But I made some adaptions and got a lot of it prepared before we even left the house, making it a snap at the campsite. I cooked the bacon, sausage, garlic, peppers, onions, and mushrooms. Once done I put those in a container that easily fit in the cooler. I don’t like bringing a cartoon of eggs with so I went ahead and beat the eggs and spices and put them in a ziploc bag for easy storage. Doing these little things before heading out made for a much more relaxing trip and a lot easier to prepare when we got up in the morning.
- 6 Strips of Bacon, crumbled
- ½ pound Breakfast Sausage, crumbled
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ Green Bell Pepper, chopped
- ½ Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- ½ Onion, chopped
- 5 Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Tube Refrigerator Crescent Rolls
- 6 Eggs, beaten
- 1 Teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- ½ Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 1 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Spray Dutch Oven with nonstick spray. If you want an easier cleanup, line Dutch Oven with tin foil. Spray tin foil with nonstick spray.
- Cook bacon, drain grease. Set aside to cool. Crumble once cooled.
- Brown sausage, drain grease. Mix in garlic, peppers, onions and mushrooms in with sausage. Saute until softened - about 5 minutes. Stir in crumbled bacon. Remove mixture and set aside.
- In dutch oven unroll crescent rolls and line base. Create the "crust" of the pizza by pinching the dough vertically along the side of the Dutch Oven, up to 1".
- Fill the crust with meat and veggie mixture. Beat eggs. Add in Italian seasoning, red pepper and salt & pepper. Pour over meat and veggie mixture.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of egg, meat & veggie mixture. Cover Dutch Oven with lid and place on fire. Bake 25 - 35 minutes or until eggs are no longer jiggly in the middle.
- Remove from fire. Let cool a few minutes, slice, serve up and enjoy!