Think about your favorite fresh sausage patty … for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. As good as it is, think about what it would taste like if you added just a hint of smoke. That’s exactly what using Gourmet Smoke Wraps does.
We selected a spicy Italian sausage, but it would be equally good with breakfast sausages or any sweet or savory sausage combo. And by stoking it in a wrap … in the Dutch oven or on the grill … you’re cooking away some of the fat rather than frying the sausage in the fat. The steam keeps it moist.
It’s essential that you bring fresh sausage up to a safe cooking temperature of at least 165 degrees. Use a meat thermometer to check the temperature at the center of the sausage roll. Remove from heat when it’s about five degrees short of desired temperature and allow it to rest to come up to temp before serving.
- 1 lb. of fresh sausage (pork, poultry, etc. whatever you like)
- 1 Kelly Craig Gourmet Smoked Wraps pack with 12 wraps
- spray bottle of water
- Open Gourmet Smoked Wraps package; find the cotton twine ties and put them in water to soak.
- Divide ground sausage into eight even portions.
- Gently roll each portion into a log about the size of a hotdog.
- Spray both sides of a wrap generously with water.
- Place one sausage roll in the wrap, parallel with the grain of the wood.
- Tightly roll the wrap around the sausage and use a saturated piece of twine to tie around the middle.
- Set aside to repeat with other wraps and rolls, but keep outside of wraps damp by spraying occasionally.
- Either heat grill to 450 degrees and cook for about 12 minutes until internal temp of sausage reaches 160 degrees, or cook in Dutch oven at 450 degrees to same internal temp. On the grill, keep outside of wraps damp with water spray.
- When at the right temperature, remove from heat and allow wraps to rest for about 5 minutes before opening.
- Top with your favorite condiments or serve as is.
- Remove and enjoy.