It’s the sweet taste of summer. Corn on the cob. That first bite floods you with good memories of summers past and the hopes of the summer to come. Ok, maybe it doesn’t do all of that – but it’s sure delicious! Grilled corn takes the game up a notch with charred pieces that seem to melt in your mouth. To put a twist on the classic we’ve added bacon and rolled it in cojita cheese. It’s a winning combination. This is a perfect summer side dish to make for a group BBQ on the patio or at the campsite. People have the ability to customize their ear of corn with the perfect amount of bacon and cheese.
Anything that is coated with a bacon butter tends to be delicious and the cojita cheese adds a great texture and a little tang to the dish. This is a super easy meal to pull together and easily feeds anywhere from a few people to a large group. One thing to make this recipe even more simple for the campsite is to use bacon bits. You can use the ones from the deli section or your standard Bac-O bits. The result is similar. Once it is mixed with melted butter and basted over your corn it won’t make much difference!
There are multiple ways to grill corn from keeping it in the husks, wrapping it in aluminum foil or laying it directly on the grill. We have grilled it in these ways and just love the taste of laying the corn directly on the grill and letting it do it’s thing. It takes a lot of turning making sure each side gets grilled for 3-5 minutes. It’s worth it, we promise because once you’ve taken the first bite of your grilled corn smothered in bacon and cojita cheese, your heart will smile.
- 10 ears of corn
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 tbsp butter, softened
- ½ cup bacon bits
- ½ cup cotija cheese, crumbled
- black pepper and salt, to taste
- Shuck corn and brush with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Put corn on a preheated grill and grill for about 5 minutes each side – rotating corn 4-5 times.
- While the corn is grilling, use a saucepan to combine butter with crumbled bacon and let it soften. Crumble cotija cheese on a large plate.
- Once corn is finished, let sit for about 5 minutes to cool a bit. Serve with a brush for the bacon butter, and a plate of cotija to roll the corn in.