Cooked over a campfire or on a grill, with the subtle smokiness provided by the Kelly Craig Family Griller Plank, this chicken pizza will become a family camping favorite – and it’s so easy.
Asian Inspired Campfire Pizza Recipe
Author: 50 Campfires
Recipe type: Lunch / Dinner
Serves: 1 Pizza
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- ¾ lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (8 oz.) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Sriracha Sauce
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 12-inch ready-to-serve pizza crust
- 1 can (8 oz.) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- ½ cup small snow pea pods
- ⅓ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- Soak Family Griller Plank in water for one hour. Make sure it’s fully submerged.
- Build a campfire to create a good bed of coals that will deliver at least 375° F, or set up zone fire in grill, so it has both direct and indirect heat zones.
- Heat skillet to high heat over grill or campfire.
- Add oil and coat skillet well.
- Add chicken and grated ginger. Stir-fry for two minutes. Add garlic. Stir-fry one more minute until chicken is no longer pink in center.
- Reduce heat to medium. Stir in tomato sauce, Sriracha Sauce, and soy sauce.
- Spoon and spread chicken mixture onto pizza crust to within ½ inch of edge.
- Top with drained water chestnuts, pea pods, and onion. Sprinkle with cheese.
- After plank has soaked at least an hour, remove from water and spray one side lightly with cooking spray.
- Place pizza on oiled side of plank and cover with foil so it just laps the edges of plank, but leaves underside exposed to the heat.
- When campfire or grill is ready, place the plank over the direct heat for about 2-3 minutes until bottom begins to smolder.
- Move the plank to indirect heat and cook for 15-20 minutes until pizza is heated through and cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and drizzle with Sriracha to taste.
PRO TIP: The perfect tool for cooking any kind of pizza – handmade, take-and-bake, or frozen – over a campfire or on the grill is the Kelly Craig Pizza Plank. Soaked and cared for properly, you will be able to cook a number of pizzas on a single plank. You can always be ready when your campers want pizza by soaking several planks ahead of time and freezing them. Stow them in your cooler and always be ready when they are! BUY NOW!