When I go camping, I want to relax for the weekend, experience the outdoors and eat foods that aren’t necessarily healthy for me. But that doesn’t mean I want to sacrifice taste. I am always looking for new things to make at the campsite and decided to create these ultimate camping chili cheese fries. Needless to say they were a hit with the family!
I also try to keep it simple. Make as much ahead of time as possible, to allow me to have that relaxing weekend. Foil packet meals are a godsend. These foil packet chili cheese fries are delicious and can also be made ahead of time. Just keep cold in the cooler and throw them on the grill or campfire.
- 6 potatoes, sliced
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 can Hormel Chili (no beans)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup green onion, chopped
- ¼ cup jalapenos, optional
- tin foil
- Cut the potatoes lengthwise in the thin strips. Lay out a large piece of tin foil, enough to house all of the ingredients. I recommend using 2 layers of tin foil for extra security.
- Spread a little butter on the tin foil to keep everything from sticking. Put the sliced potatoes on the tin foil and cover with the can of chili, bacon and 1 cup of cheese. Top with the ¼ cup of green onions and jalapenos.
- Grab all sides of the tin foil, bring to the middle and roll the excess to seal the packet.
- When ready to cook, place on a grill or directly in the coals of the campfire. Cook for 90 minutes. Checking after 45 minutes.