Prickly Pear Cactus Salad
Simple, delicious salad you can whip together right at the campsite. Fresh chopped tomatoes are best, but you can get by with canned if you have to … just be sure to drain them well. The jalapenos may bring some heat, but you can never tell how hot until you taste. Best recommendation is to work your way up to all five.
- ½ large jar of nopalitos (drained, rinsed, dried on paper towels)
- 2 cups tomatoes (fresh or canned) – chopped
- ½ cup white onions – large dice
- 5 jalapeno peppers – seeds and veins removed, minced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves – roughly chopped
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Garlic salt
- Black pepper
- In mixing bowl combine cactus, tomatoes, onions, jalapenoes, and cilantro.
- Squeeze juice from both lemons over the top.
- Cover and put it in your camping cooler for at least one hour.
- Remove, toss again, and sprinkle with garlic salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.