As soon as you see one, you’ll realize a Maine Whoopie Pie is a prime candidate for making a s’more in a pie iron. And a whoopie pie s’more is so easy to make.
What’s a whoopie pie? It’s a New England (especially Maine) staple that’s basically a sandwich of two large soft chocolate cookies with a sugary filling in between. When selecting your Whoopie Pie to make a Whoopie Pie S’more, be sure to find ones that will reasonably fit in your pie irons – though the trimmings are mighty good eating, too. There are all kinds of flavors of whoopie pies so you can go crazy with the varieties and combinations.
- Chocolate Whoopie Pies (from bakery)
- Marshmallow cream (optional)
- Milk chocolate bars (optional)
- Cold milk (on the side)
- Generously butter inside of pie iron.
- Place Whoopie Pie in pie iron and trim away edges where it would stick out.
- Eat delicious trimmings.
- Add marshmallow cream and/or chocolate bar pieces between cookies (if desired, but probably unnecessary.
- Close up pie iron and toast over campfire coals, grill, or camp stove on low.
- Check frequently until both sides of Whoopie Pie begin to toast.
- Remove and eat with a cold glass of milk on the side