A ooey gooey, savory ham and cheese sandwich — what’s there not to like about it? Such a classic food and it tastes even better when cooked over the campfire. But then again everything tastes better over the campfire. We have been using our pie iron a ton lately to make everything from breakfast omelets to chicken pot pie dinners. We just love how simple it is to use and the endless possibilities that you can make with it. Plus you get to cook over the campfire which is always fun!
What gives this traditional ham and cheese sandwich a twist is the addition of spices. With fresh parsley, chives, and mayonnaise it gives the regular sandwich an upgrade. We initially found this recipe on Tasty Kitchen and have since made a few variations to enhance the flavor even more. You can easily add a little Franks Red Hot to give it some spice or even a slice of tomato to give it a bit of a sweeter taste. We have even added avocado which enhanced the flavor of the sandwich quite a bit.
This easy pie iron meal doesn’t require a lot of prep work but if you want to make it super simple for yourself at the campsite, prepare the mustard, mayonnaise and spices mixture ahead of time so you can just spread it on and assemble. We were impressed with how much kids loved this recipe plus anytime they get to assemble their own sandwich and help cook it over the fire they seem to enjoy it!
- Honey Mustard
- Franks Red Hot
- Sliced Deli Meat Of Choice (ham, Roast Beef, And/or Turkey)
- 2-3 slices of Cheese (cheddar, Provolone, And/or Swiss)
- Butter or use cooking spray on both sides of the pie iron.
- Spread mustard and a little bit of Franks Red Hot on one slice of bread and add to the pie iron.
- Add one slice of cheese and a hearty amount of meat.
- This is your chance to add avocado or a tomato. Add one or two more pieces of cheese.
- Add mayonnaise to the other piece of bread and top off the sandwich.
- Place pie iron into the fire until bread is golden brown.