Warm biscuits, topped with sausage and a creamy country gravy. Is your mouth watering? It should be. I really have a thing for biscuits and gravy, it is a breakfast staple that just never gets old to me. I have finally found a great gravy recipe that is simple to make yet delicious. Plus it allows for customization, which is perfect for my house.
As I was preparing a meal list for an upcoming camping trip, I decided that I just really needed biscuits and gravy. But with out an oven, making biscuits is tough. It then dawned on me that one of our readers, Myke Dudley, had mentioned he made them in a pie iron. Well, I had a pie iron and had already made some pretty cool things in it, including chicken pot pie. So I decided if that turned out, then pie iron biscuits and gravy could definitely work.
To make my life a little easier, I made the sausage and gravy part ahead of time. It is an easy recipe but instead of dragging the ingredients to the campsite, why not just make it in the comforts of your home. All you really need is a pound of sausage, flour, milk, and salt/pepper. If you want to spice it up a bit, just add a little crushed red pepper. Once you have the sausage cooked, add the flour and stir, then slowly add the milk in. Bring it to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Add your spices and let it simmer for around 10 minutes. Depending on how you like your gravy you can add a little more flour to thicken it up.
When you are ready to make these delicious pie iron biscuits and gravy at the campsite, you will need 3 things. A nice campfire with hot coals, a pie iron, the gravy mixture and canned biscuits. It is certainly an easy camping breakfast to make! Plus its like your own personal biscuits and gravy pie.
I have to say that I was blown way by how good these turned out. They were well contained in their own little buttery biscuit pocket and were easy to eat without utensils. The whole family scarfed them down in record time and all marveled at how tasty it was. Biscuits and Gravy over the campfire, now I could get used to that!
- 1 can refridgerated buttermilk biscuits
- 1 package Pork Sausage, crumbled
- ¼ cup flour
- 2½ cups milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook sausage in large skillet over medium heat 5-6 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently. Stir in flour. Gradually add milk; cook until mixture comes to a boil and thickens, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Open the biscuits, using fingertips, flatten each biscuit into 4-inch rounds.
- Grease both sides of the pie iron well, take 1 biscuit and press it in to one side of the pie iron. Scoop 3-4 tablespoons of the sausage and gravy mixture on to the biscuit.
- Grab another biscuit and put over the top, seal the edges so that no gravy mixture is falling out. Close the pie iron and put it in the hot coals. Turn every 2 minutes, until biscuit is browned and firm to the touch, about 5 to 8 minutes.