Sloppy Joes are always a good choice for a quick, scrumptious lunch or dinner. We have been making sloppy joes while camping for years and recently stumbled across an easy dutch oven sloppy joes recipe that we just had to try. We were not disappointed.
After a long day outside, hiking or playing on the water, it is nice to get back to the campsite and not have to prep a meal for 40 minutes. It also helps that Sloppy Joes are a hit with children! This recipe, that we adapted from Taste of Home, feeds quite a bit so if you’re making it for only a few people, I would recommend halving it.
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped green pepper
- 1-2/3 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground mustard
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 8 to 10 hamburger buns, split
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook the beef, onion, celery and green pepper until meat is no longer pink and the vegetables are tender; drain.
- Stir in the next nine ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Spoon about ½ cup meat mixture onto each bun.