On a nightly basis I search or create new recipes because I love to cook. The same goes for when I go camping. I want to try new stuff but prefer to not spend hours making it. After all, I am camping to relax. I do love making different hot dog combinations, but can wear myself out on hot dogs pretty quick when camping. That is when you switch to sausage, and these stuffed sausage and potato boats will not disappoint.
The stuffed sausage and potato boats are so easy to make. Especially when you are using the already prepared mashed potatoes. You certainly can make your own mashed potatoes but for camping it is nice to just be able to keep it simple.
These boats can be as simple or complex as you would like. Spice it up with bacon, chives or herbs or make it more healthy with turkey sausage and low fat cheese. There are quite a few versions of this recipe, we found it on Everyday Dutch Oven, but overall I don’t think you can go wrong, it’s definitely a keeper.
- 1 lb. package Kielbasa Smoked Sausage
- 4 cups prepared refrigerated or instant mashed potatoes
- 2 Tbsp green onions, minced
- 2 tsp prepared mustard
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Additional Toppings:
- Bacon, crumbled
- Onion, chopped
- Lightly oil or spray dutch oven. Cut sausage into 4 equal pieces, slice lengthwise almost through to bottom and spread open.
- Place sausage in prepared dutch oven, cut side up.
- In medium bowl, combine potatoes, scallions, mustard and black pepper. Spoon potato mixture evenly over sausages.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with grated cheese and continue baking until cheese has melted.
- Garnish with your favorite baked potato toppings if desired.