When you think about camping for a weekend, you probably don’t think of sitting down to a full blown Italian meal. But then again you probably don’t know just how easy this Dutch Oven Ravioli is. Putting this together is incredibly easy and provides an excellent carbo loaded, hearty meal after a long day of being outdoors.
I highly enjoy Italian cuisine so I tend to sneak those types of meals in whenever I can. Anything with marinara sauce, pasta and melty cheese makes my mouth water. If you are camping in the dead of summer, this may not be the best recipe to make but if you’re out in the early spring or fall a hearty pasta meal is just the ticket to keep your bones warm.
I am a planner, so when I go camping I have all of my meals planned out. I even go as far as having all the hard cooking preparation tasks (cutting, cooking meat, or mixing ingredients) done before I even leave my home. This gives me way more time to relax. But with this dutch oven ravioli recipe, there is no preparation. Just making sure you packed all 5 ingredients. If you wanted to make some sort of garlic bread ahead of time and just heat it up in a pan that would be a great side dish.
For this dish it is best to use around 7-10 coals on the bottom and 17-20 on the top of the lid. This provides a nice even cook for the pasta. You will want your coals to be hot as you are pouring everything in the for recipe.
I am always looking for new things to try and have some great ravioli recipes that I make at home, but nothing I felt would transfer well to camping, until I found this one, from Fritz Monroe’s site. I really didn’t have to do much adaption to fit my needs and it turned out excellent with the whole family chowing down on seconds and thirds.
- 1 25 oz bag frozen sausage ravioli, thawed
- 1 large 45 oz jar spaghetti sauce
- ¼ cup fresh Parmesan cheese (can use grated)
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup water
- Spray the dutch oven with cooking spray or line with tin foil and spray with cooking spray. Put a thin layer of spaghetti sauce on the bottom of a 12″ dutch oven. Place a single layer of the ravioli over the bottom of the oven.
- Cover the ravioli with half of the remaining spaghetti sauce. Sprinkle on the parmesan cheese. Place another layer of the ravioli on top of the sauce. Pour on the rest of the spaghetti sauce.
- Top the sauce with the mozzarella cheese and add a little more Parmesan cheese. Pour the water around the edge of the pan to add some additional moisture.
- Cook in the dutch oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. The sauce should be bubbling and the cheese will just start to brown.