It’s something special when you can offer up a scrumptious desert cooked right at the campsite.
The topping for this cobbler is as quick and easy as they get. Just get yourself a refrigerated tube of buttermilk biscuits, cut them up, and sugar them with brown sugar. Then you lay them on top of the fruit mix, and you’re good to go! This is a great way to go for a camping cobbler recipe, because you don’t need a bunch of ingredients and to mix them at the campsite, or even at home ahead of time.
As for baking, we offer up the temps and times for the oven at home, but anyone who knows their way around a Dutch oven even a little bit, knows how to use charcoal briquets to match the results from the electric or gas oven you can set and forget … almost.
By the way –
Here’s our favorite Dutch Oven.
And here’s the best way to clean it.
- 2 lb fresh or frozen strawberries (thawed)
- 12 oz fresh or frozen blueberries (thawed)
- 12 oz fresh or frozen black berries
- 12 oz frozen mixed berries (thawed)
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flower
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. lemon zest (grated)
- 1 tube of grand size buttermilk biscuit dough (8 biscuits)
- ½ cup brown sugar, light
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Line 12-inch cast iron Dutch Oven with foil liner or sheets of foil (makes for easy clean up)
- In large bowl, combine berries, white sugar, flour, lemon zest, lemon juice.
- Mix thoroughly with your hands, then pour into lined Dutch oven.
- Open and separate biscuits; then cut rounds into four pieces each.
- Place pieces in another bowl and add the brown sugar. Mix gently with hands until all pieces are lightly coated with sugar.
- Place sugared biscuit pieces evenly across the surface of the berries in Dutch oven.
- If cooking in home oven, place cover on top of Dutch oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove lid and return to oven for up to another 30 minutes until golden brown and biscuits are baked through.