When I think of cooking in a dutch oven, I instantly think of comfort food like, stroganoff and jambalaya. We use a dutch oven to cook in when we go camping and if we’re out in the cooler fall months, one of our go to meals is this easy lasagna recipe.
I originally found it over at Everyday Dutch Oven, but have made just a few adaptions to suit our family. This comforting meal doesn’t take very long to make and only has 7 ingredients. I tend to make the ground beef before we leave home to alleviate a step and make the process even faster when at the campsite. It can be tricky to get the hang of cooking with a dutch oven outdoors, I’d suggest using about 12 coals on the bottom and around 16-18 on the top to maintain right around the 375 degree temperature.
If you’re going camping with a group, this is such an easy lasagna recipe to throw together and feeds quite a few people. We’ve made it several times when camping with family and it has always been a hit.
- ½ lb ground beef
- ½ lb pork sausage
- 18 fresh wonton wrappers
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 8 oz. shredded Mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1 lb. 8 oz. jar spaghetti sauce
- Lightly oil or spray an 8 inch dutch oven.
- Brown sausage and hamburger over Drain well.
- Combine egg, ricotta cheese, Parmesan and browned sausage.
- Cover bottom of dutch oven with a layer of sauce. Place 6 Wonton wrappers in a layer over sauce.
- Spoon half of sausage and hamburger mixture over wrappers. Cover evenly with sauce and half of Mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat layers ending with a layer of wrappers covered with sauce.
- Bake in the dutch oven for 25-30 minutes at 375 degrees. About 10 minutes before it is done, add a handful of Mozzarella. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until cheese is brown and melted.
- Let sit for 20 minutes in dutch oven.