I have been craving hot dogs lately. Weird, I know. But not just your average hot hog with ketchup and mustard but crazy hot dogs with exciting toppings and a wide range of flavors. I have been experimenting with the tried and true favorites, but adding a twist. Take this Chili Cheese Frito Dog, it’s an easy camping meal and oh so tasty! Most everyone has had a chili cheese dog or coney dog in their lifetime, but just the addition of Frito’s chips gives this hot dog a whole new flair.
As I said, I have been experimenting with a lot of different hot dog recipes from a Cowboy Hot Dog to a Bulldog Dog. I have found that some things really work well together and some do not. They didn’t make the cut.
Our family loves to go on camping trips together. It is time to be outside, let the kids (or dog) run and just relax. Meaning I don’t want to spend an hour getting supper ready on a picnic table. Hot Dogs have always been a go to and now you can spice it up a little bit with and easy camping meal that only takes a few ingredients!
- 8 all beef hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns
- 1 (15 oz) can of chili with beans
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheese
- 1 ½ cups frito chips, crushed
- jalapeno slices, optional
- In a medium sauce pan, heat the chili until warm. This works on a camp stove or even over the campfire on a grate.
- Lightly grease the grill grates. Place hot dogs onto the grill they are slightly charred on the outside. Hot dogs can also be cooked over the campfire on a stick.
- Place hot dog buns onto the grill or campfire grate interior-side down until lightly toasted. Place hot dogs onto the buns. Top with chili, shredded cheese, jalapeno slices, and crushed Frito chips.