When you think of a quesadilla, most of the time you think of the Mexican version with cheese, chicken and some peppers. But the quesadilla can do so much more. We have made a wide variety of quesadillas from breakfast to dessert and they’ve always been tasty. We recently made a BBQ Chicken Quesadilla packed full of spinach, caramelized onions and cheese.
The quesadilla is a great camping meal. One – it’s easy, two – kids (and adults) love them and three – the recipe options are endless! I always love using fresh ingredients but also try to use up my leftovers before they go to waste. This tends to mean a new quesadilla creation. Try it out sometime – open your fridge, grab some of the leftover ingredients and I bet you can make a pretty darn tasty quesadilla recipe out of it!
As with many of my camping meals, I try to do as much prep work ahead of time as possible so I am not preparing meals while everyone else is out enjoying their weekend. This recipe can mostly be prepared ahead of time if you desire. I like to use shredded chicken in my quesadillas so I usually boil my chicken for 20 minutes (or just throw it in the crock pot for 5 hours on high) and then shred it. I then get my onions caramelized and add my chicken along with a few handfuls of spinach and warm, until it just starts to wilt. Once you have the mixture, just scoop it into an airtight container. You can either freeze it so that it will thaw while in your cooler or you can throw it in as is to stay cool.
We have recently started using a quesadilla grilling basket and it works so well over the campfire! You can also do it the old fashion way using the campfire grill grate. You can even get the kids to pitch in and help you assemble the quesadillas! These quesadillas are always a big hit and it is a great way to sneak some veggies in to the meal.
- ½ large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 2 heaping handfuls baby spinach
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 tortillas
- vegetable oil
- Bring a 2 qt sauce pan to a rolling boil. Boil 2 chicken breasts for 20 minutes. Shred.
- In a saute pan, heat butter. Add onion and cook on medium-low until soft and starting to caramelize usually takes 15-20 minutes.
- Add shredded cooked chicken and fresh spinach to the onions. Season with a pinch of salt and stir just until chicken is warmed through and spinach starts to wilt. Take off heat.
- Grab 2 tortillas, spread with a small amount of vegetable oil on one side of each tortilla. Flip over and spread 2 tablespoons of BBQ sauce on non-vegetable oil side of each tortilla. Add ¼ cup of cheese to one side. Add a ½ cup of the chicken mixture on to your cheese. Sprinkle another ¼ cup of cheese on and the other tortilla.
- Put in the quesadilla grilling basket or directly on the grill grate and cook about 3-4 minutes per side until cheese is melted and tortilla is browned.
- Repeat with the other tortillas to make two quesadillas. Cut each quesadilla into eights.